Weight loss is so much more then just reducing calories. We look at your biochemistry to ensure your metabolism is working. For lifestyle we go beyond exercise and diet, we talk about sleep and the mind-body connection. Weight loss is about finding a healthy and sustainable life, not crash diets.
Our Areas of Expertise
Our 16 week program is designed to cover all the details and get you on a long term plan for your weight and health. It’s not a crash diet.
The plan has appointments every 3 weeks to ensure progress, accountability, and yet gives enough time for changes to start.
- Week 1: We set you up for success by looking at your medical history, start some healthy foundational lifestyle and diet changes, set up blood work to do a comprehensive metabolism review and even talk about natural products to help the weight loss. We start the foundation of a metabolism reboot diet that avoids major food restrictions.
- Week 4: We go over the blood work results. We get you started on more diet changes for the metabolism reboot plan, this is a reset diet at this point and not a long term diet but is customized to what we see in the blood test results. At this is time we might talk about food intolerances that might block weight loss or if there is a need to do a detox plan. We can talk about some ways to speed up the weight loss based on your test results. We also talk about what additional lifestyle changes are needed, based on the success from week 1. We review if natural products are needed or if the changes to already used products need to happen based on the test results.
- Week 7: This is the time to really look at the best types of exercise, often people make the mistake of starting too intense of exercise too fast and this can block the metabolism reset plan. Based on your metabolism reset diet that has been going to this point, we also talk about additional options like intermittent fasting, balanced diets vs low carb diets and integrate what has worked for you in the past to what is working now. At this point we are switching out of the metabolism reboot plan and moving to a longer term plan slowly.
- Week 10: We start to look in more detail to the future, planning out habits and review what has and has not been working, this is a key part missing from crash diets that don’t change habits or plan for maintenance. Here we fine tune the plan based on the success you have seen. We develop a more personal plan that allows you to enjoy life and have a healthy weight.
- Week 13: You talk to our nutritionist and get a customized long term meal plan based on all you have learned and your food preferences.
- Week 16: Here we plan for when life gives us problems, what to do with set backs and how to reboot your personal plan when needed. Long term success plans for the good times and the bad times. We talk about what resources and strength you have to draw upon to regain your health.
Our program is a week to week system, there is no large up front fee, it’s a pay as you go system that is covered by most health care plans…and we do direct billing for most insurance companies.
Weight loss shouldn’t be just another fad diet. It should ideally be a combination of a detailed medical history which includes comprehensive lab testing that evaluates your hormones, with a look at lifestyle. For weight loss to last there needs to be positive changes in diet and lifestyle that you love and have no problems maintaining. We also talk about nutritional and herbal products that can help you achieve your weight loss goals. We can give you a kick start meal plan (including recipes) and educational material to help you learn how to make dietary and lifestyle changes, and then change over to a customized diet plan. Weight loss should be about how to look and feel great, be vibrant and is so much more than a fad diet.
Consult our naturopathic doctors for naturopath weight loss in Toronto.
A lot of people think they just need to do a special diet and don’t consider biological factors, such as the thyroid. Other people go to their doctor and are told that everything is normal on their blood work, but still they can’t lose weight. However, many people have a slow thyroid that is not diagnosed as a hypothyroid but can be blocking your weight loss. At Greystones Health we can look at your blood work and tell you if your thyroid is affecting your weight loss.
If you have been dealing with weight loss and long term stress, there is a real biological link that could be blocking your goals. There is a small gland on top of your kidneys that may not be producing enough of adrenal hormone, this leads to more fat development specifically over the abdomen (stomach) area. There is a simple test to find out if this is a problem for you. The great part is that we not only get you losing the weight, we also have you feeling more energetic and positive.
When weight loss is not happening no matter what you do, there can be an insulin problem, which is missed because normally only the blood sugar is tested and the actual insulin hormone is not. It’s important to test insulin levels (along with other factors for weight loss). If there is a insulin problem, there is a great set of nutritional products to improve insulin function and get the weight loss finally happening.
Greystones Health offers a comprehensive weight loss plan that not only helps you lose weight in the short term, but also educates you about how to maintain a healthy weight for the long-term. Our plan is to educate, motivate and empower our patients to achieve their weight loss goals.
What’s important is to look at the individual’s health history to identify any obstacles, rather than just talking about how to lose weight. This is essential for long-term success! For example, we will need to investigate if your thyroid is under-functioning, if your growth hormone too low, or if your cortisol hormone is too low and you’re suffering from burnout. Another classic obstacle is stress. We often see patients battling with chronic stress trying to resolve the stress by exercising more, but unfortunately this ends up doing more harm than good, and increasing weight gain.
One of the important measurements we take is to use a special scale to measure your fat and muscle percentage. This is important for long term sustainability to ensure that your muscle mass is increasing – it is only with increased muscle mass that you increase your metabolism.
What we do is to create an individualized plan that identifies your obstacles, helping you to lose weight and feel vibrant and energized.